West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
DRAFT Minutes, 3/14/06
Present: Mari Taffe, Todd Wildermuth, MGC Rep Cher Underwood Forsberg
Absent: George Effrem, Dan Blackburn, Kristi Olmanson, Barb Stevens, Rosemary Lundell, coordinator Ahdni Fridell, Dan Blackburn
Guests: Greg Bentz,, Beth Elliott, Amanda Arnold, Tom Leighton
Treasurer Report: No treasurer report
Council Member comments – CM Betsy Hodges was not in attendance
Midtown Greenway Land Use and Development Plan update – Beth Elliott
- Beth explained that she will be assigned as Community Planner for Downtown and Amanda Arnold will be taking over as Community Planner for Southwest. Amanda introduced herself and gave her relevant background experience. She will be doing the Uptown Small Area Plan.
- Beth and Tom explained that they are at the end of the community process. The land use map is one of the most important parts of the citywide map. The goal of the Small Area Plan is for the City Council to adopt it. Amend the comprehensive plan that makes it legal. It will tell developers: what land use is allowed on this site? There will be four categories of density of housing.
- This will be followed up with a re-zoning study. Another community process. More specific regarding what types of residential fits in with land use policy.
- The mayor requested funding to do this. Seeing demand for property along Midtown Greenway. Need to address growth, height, industrial use, etc.; will hopefully alleviate the issue.
- Zoning is an implementation tool for policy. Every property is in a zoning district. Framework for what can happen. If there is a conflict – state law – comprehensive plan has to be consistent with zoning. We can use policies in the policy document when talking to developers.
Chain of Lakes coalition – Todd Wildermuth
- Todd gave the background for the formation of this group. A lot of things going on around the lakes. Dan Woychick/East Harriet – sent an email to the neighborhoods touching the chain of lakes. They had a meeting – what is their role? Meet with other neighborhoods, know what each is dealing with, be a watchdog for the lakes.
- They have created a set of principles. They also want to figure out a good way to have communication with the MPRB. Go to Park Board meetings?
- They want each of the neighborhoods to vote on the concept of this coalition.
- Their next meeting will be in early April.
Lake Calhoun Sailing Village meeting update
- Mari gave an update regarding how this meeting went.
- There was discussion regarding what is the collective public good? How big can this proposed structure be?
Midtown Greenway Coalition update – Cher Underwood
- Cher discussed the bike center in Midtown Exchange. Someone has to take responsibility for the bikes. Free bikes may not happen. Bike center definitely happening. Plan is still being worked on.
- Annual meeting is in April at the Sheraton in Midtown Exchange.
- We will do an Earth Day cleanup on Sat April 22 at both the Midtown Greenway and Lake Calhoun.
- Community garden – we need to decide how big we want it to be. Put an article in April newsletter. Patch of land owned by Hennepin County, for future Abbott Ave light rail. In meantime, can only plant ornamentals in raised beds.
Meeting adjourned at 8:45 pm
Next meeting will be held Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 7:00pm in the cooking classroom at Whole Foods Market.