West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
DRAFT Minutes: 12/10/2007
Present: Barb Stevens, Mari Taffe, Todd Wildermuth, Rhea Sullivan (Co-Coordinator)
Absent: Greg Benz, George Effrem, Rosemary Lundell, Ahndi Fridell (Co-Coordinator)
- The minutes of the November 12, 2007 WCNC meeting were approved.
- Barb Stevens reported that there is $4,267.81 in the NRP account and $481.00 in the development account.
Council Member comments – Council Member Hodges was not present.
Lakes District Council Update – Todd Wildermuth
- Todd Wildermuth reported that he will meet with Dan Woychick and Carl Holmquist and others on December 11 to plan for 2008 with a group of other Council participants.
- The Lakes District Council will meet quarterly. The next regularly scheduled meeting will be in January.
- Todd reminded us that for those of us looking for end-of-year giving opportunities, we should consider giving to People for Parks or the Minneapolis Park Foundation.
- Mari Taffe reported that Kathy Bakke has resigned from the Board. Mari will check with Greg Benz about his commitment to the WCNC Board because he has missed several meetings. The Board agreed that they would be amenable to having him continue as our representative to the Midtown Greenway Coalition, if he would be willing to e-mail us periodic updates.
- WCNC Letter to MPRB – Mari Taffe and Todd Wildermuth signed off on the letter to the MPRB expressing WCNC’s desire to fund a Lake Calhoun shoreline restoration plan before the Lake Calhoun Master Plan is completed next spring. We should plan to follow-up with the MPRB by the middle of January if they do not respond to the letter. Todd said that he is still trying to connect with Great River Greening to find out what $30,000 would get us in terms of a shoreline restoration plan.
- West Calhoun Development Guidelines – Todd Wildermuth and Co-Coordinator Ahndi Fridell presented the Board with draft development guidelines to review. The Board has been asked to provide written comments by our next meeting on January 14, 2008. Board members can free to make notes on the guidelines document. Todd plans to incorporate Board comments and bring revised guidelines back to the February meeting.
- State Auditor Agreed Upon Procedures – Mari Taffe reported that WCNC has received the formal written response from the State Auditor’s office. We still need to draft written accounting policies and procedures and adopt a conflict of interest policy.
Neighborhood Coordinator Update
- Rhea Sullivan attended Betsy Hodges’s meeting about the future of NRP. The meeting was an opportunity to provide input about what has worked in the NRP program and what would be most important to preserve in the future. The future governance structure for the program was also discussed.
- Rhea reported that she will be unable to attend the January and February WCNC meetings because she will be rehearsing on Monday evenings for Utopia, Limited with the Gilbert and Sullivan Very Light Opera Company.
- The meeting adjourned to Caribou Coffee where Rhea presented various website design options. The consensus was to use Weebly, the free web design tool that East Harriet Farmstead Neighborhood Association uses. Rhea will add some photos of West Calhoun. Barb Stevens has some photos of the shoreline and community gardens that could be added to the website. She will have them put on a CD. Todd suggested using Flick’r for other photos. Mari would like to include some history about Kitty Ging.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
The next WCNC Board meeting will be held Monday, January 14, 2008 at 7:00 p.m. at Whole Foods.