West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
DRAFT Minutes: 4/13/2010
Present: David Rhees, Michael Wagner (Chair), Rhea Sullivan (Coordinator)
Guests: Rodgers Adams, Seth Doorn, Betsy Hodges (City Council Member), Ben Stelmach
- The minutes for the January and March 2010 were approved.
- No report.
Council Member comments
- Betsy Hodges reported that the Ward Breakfast will be April 21 at Pearson’s Restaurant. She will also hold a Development Summit on Tuesday, April 27, at Southwest High School to discuss the many development issues facing Southwest Minneapolis at this time, including the SW LRT.
- Betsy noted that Mayor Rybak presented the supplemental budget. There were $10 million cut in LGA funds in 2010. There will be no additional workforce reductions, but cuts will need to be made. They anticipate more cuts in 2011 and a big pension jump and increasing health care costs.
- Street sweeping signs will be posted the day before sweeping. Towing begins at 8 a.m.
- Federal Energy Assistance is available to residents for weatherization. Details are available at www.campls.org.
Lakes District Council Update/MPRB
- No report. The next meeting is April 22.
Midtown Greenway Coalition
- Michael Wagner reported that the MGC is expanding the Trail Watch Program. The MGC meeting is later in the month. He will have an update at the Annual Meeting on May 11.
- Seth Doorn would like to join the WCNC Board. He is interested in government and policy and lives at 3430 List Place in the Calhoun Towers. He is a law school graduate of St. Thomas. Possible projects that interest him include the SW LRT and traffic management. He also expressed an interest in promoting green roofs in the neighborhood. (David Rhees noted that The Bakken Museum has a green roof.) Seth also mentioned the possibility of looking into Federal broadband for cheap wireless access in the neighborhood. Seth will plan to seek election to the Board at the May 11 Annual meeting.
- We discussed other outreach to recruit new board members. David Rhees will contact Thatcher Imboden (Uptown Association) and Jim Jennings (Minikahda Club). Rhea will contact Lauren Kebschull at Whole Foods.
- Rhea will draft an Earth Day flyer to promote our Earth Day Clean Up on April 11 and will contact the manager at the Calhoun Towers about getting it posted there. Ben Stelmach volunteered to print and hang the flyer at his apartment building, Lakewood Isles.
Earth Day Logistics – April 17
- Rhea Sullivan reviewed the logistics for the Earth Day Clean Up event at Lake Calhoun. She will pick up materials from the MPRB, donated food and water from Whole Foods and coffee from Peace Coffee. Chair Michael Wagner will be present at the table to staff the event.
West Calhoun postcard
- Rhea Sullivan passed around the promotional postcard (with neighborhood map) that will be mailed before the Annual Meeting. Proposed edits were discussed.
- Michael Wagner suggested adding bus routes to the map. Rhea will look into that.
- We will add wording to the postcard to explain the bylaw revision.
- David Rhees asked about the WCNC Articles of Incorporation. Rhea will locate them and send a copy to the Board. WCNC is a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization.
WCNC Bylaw Revision
- Rhea Sullivan distributed copies of a draft revision of WCNC bylaws based on our discussion last month. Rhea noted further edits and will e-mail the final draft to the Board before posting the bylaws on the WCNC website. We will note that a paper copy of the bylaws will be made available on request.
SW LRT Update
- The next Citizen Advisory Council meeting will be April 28. Michael Wagner and Rhea Sullivan plan to attend.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m.
The next WCNC Board meeting (our Annual Meeting) is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at The Bakken Museum at 6 p.m.