West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
Present: Michael Wagner (Chair), Seth Doorn (Treasurer), Meg Forney, Jeff Peltola, David Rhees, Rhea Sullivan (Coordinator)
Guests: Rodgers Adams, Kari Kamrin, Gary Knutson, Haydee Peterson
- The minutes for June 8, 2010 were approved.
- Seth reported that he and Barb had gone to the bank and he is now the official check signer. He and Barb and Rhea still need to meet to train him in as Treasurer. Current balance in the NRP account is $5,483.43.
Nolan Properties Group: 3100 Excelsior Blvd. (former Boulevard Gardens site)
- Nolan Properties has submitted a Land Use Application for Site Plan Review for 3100 Excelsior Blvd. This will go to the City Planning Commission on August 2, 2010.
- Haydee Peterson reported that Urban Anthology, their leasing agent, does have a tenant for the site.
Council Member comments
- Council Member Hodges was not present.
Lakes District Council Update/MPRB
- July 22 meeting has been postponed until August 26, 2010. Rhea will send an e-mail to Board with this information.
Midtown Greenway Coalition
- Michael Wagner has had to step down as MGC representative, though he is still involved with the organization. He reported that the recent Tour de Fat fundraiser was a huge success.
Southwest LRT Community Members Working Group
- Jeff Peltola and Meg Forney both attended the first meeting of the Community Members Working Group on June 22.
- They reported that they broke out into small work groups to talk about the West Lake and 21st Street stations. They discussed the issues and opportunities at each site. They also discussed whether we want a Park & Ride at the site.
- Michael Wagner stated that WCNC has generally been against a Park & Ride at the
West Lake station. The next station at Belt Line has much more space. It might make sense to put a larger Park & Ride at Belt Line rather than having a Park & Ride at West Lake. The concern is that there is already so much traffic in the West Lake station area that it is unmanageable. This would add to that.
- Jeff said that he has spoken to Adele Hall about this. The idea of having a Park & Ride at West Lake came out of the Southwest Transitway Alternatives Analysis. The only site that absolutely won’t have a Park & Ride is the downtown station. He commented that Gail Dorfman and Betsy Hodges don’t seem inclined to have a Park & Ride at West Lake and there is a preference not to have Park & Rides in the City of Minneapolis. There may be a “Kiss & Ride” and a bus transfer point.
- Meg Forney commented that instead of taking a negative approach, we should consider, if we were going to have a ramp, how can we make it work well for us? How could it enhance the area? We could take advantage of public money to help make West Calhoun feel more connected.
- Rodgers Adams suggested the possibility of making the Calhoun Commons parking lot a 3-level parking ramp.
- We discussed the possibility of hiring a consultant to help us through the SW LRT planning process. Meg suggested hiring Close & Associates, who has worked with the neighborhood in the past. After some discussion, the decision was to continue to work with the Station Area Planning process and see what we can get out of it. If we feel we need more, we could consider hiring a consultant then.
WCNC Phase I NRP Plan
- We discussed our current Phase I NRP Action Plan and looked at a table of remaining funds. We need to review our action plan priorities and have a community meeting. The October 12 WCNC meeting would be a good time to do that. Meg suggested that we might host a candidate forum to bring in more people.
- Rhea will post the WCNC Phase I Action Plan, the Calhoun Gateway Small Area Plan and the Excelsior Blvd. Corridor Study on the website. The Board is asked to review these documents and the spreadsheet that shows remaining Phase I NRP funds before our next meeting.
Board Member Appointment
- Gary Knutson asked to be appointed to the Board. He has lived in the neighborhood for eight years and is a retired advertising professional. The Board voted to approve his appointment.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
The next WCNC Board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at The Bakken Museum at 6 p.m.