West Calhoun Neighborhood Association
Monthly Meeting Minutes
Date: October 10, 2017
Called to order: 6:02pm
Presided by: Allan Campbell, President
Note taker: Nikki Lindberg
In attendance: Board: John Bordwell, Allan Campbell, Lynette Davis, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, Tim Musson; Other; Nikki Lindberg, Coordinator; Louise Campbell, Dan Colvin, Jennifer Davie
President Report – Allan Campbell
- A motion was made by Richard, seconded by Jeff, and carries to elect Dan Colvin to the board
- A motion was made by Jeff, seconded by John, and carries to elect Jennifer Davie to the board
- A motion was made by Lynette, seconded by Tim, and carries to elect Jennifer as Secretary
- Dan and Jennifer both expressed interest in being a part of the Events & Communications committee
- Minutes from September approved. (Richard/John)
Treasurer Report – Tim Musson
- Reports from Mobius not available in time for the meeting
- Need to request a CPP drawdown
Events & Communications
- Happy Hour – about 2 dozen came from neighborhood — approved $300 (spent $225)
- Email sign-ups on Constant Contact — pull our first winner at end of October
- Wine event — volunteers will be offered a free event ticket for signing up
- Utility box covers — the project should be underway. We will need to do a small Plan Modification to the language of a Neighborhood Priority, to be voted on in November. This will allow the payment for the project to be associated appropriately at the City for payment of the vendor.
- CPM expects to file with the City soon
- Calhoun Towers project conducting feasibility studies and in negotiations with the railroad, etc.
- Walk this Saturday. Would like to consider doing this annually. Perhaps alternate doing one in the evening or during rush hour.
- Richard is happy to report that tree branches have finally been trimmed along Chowen and lighting is much improved.
- Working on MOU with Park Board regarding the turf program to help create a usable surface for that area.
- Skateboard park survey available for public comment.
- We also need to keep in mind the potential sailing school relocation.
- Like to paint the storm drains, perhaps as part of a spring event. (Earth Day?)
- Littering could be addressed in the spring, again with Earth Day. Consider doing something to bring a visible awareness to the amount of litter around, and how it all ends up in the lake.
- Board retreat will be on Monday 11/13 starting at 5:30pm. Dinner will be provided.
- Lake naming survey. Small sample of residents (26 surveys) with majority wanting no change, but if changed, preference is for Lake Maka Ska.
Board is choosing no action.
- We still need bios and photos for website
City Council, Linea Palmisano
- The results of a MPD body camera audit were released today. Although we are capturing more footage, there is a high level of non-compliance. Repercussions aren’t being enforced, and there are misperceptions about the system which are causing a resistance by officers to use the cameras. She is meeting the the Chief of Police next week to discuss what may help change this situation. In regards to the officer involved shooting of Justine Damon, State Atty General Michael Freeman should have a decision by the end of the year whether charges will be brought against Officer Noor.
Announcements & New Business
Meeting adjourned: 7:39pm
Submitted by: Nikki Lindberg