West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
March 13, 2018
Attending board members: Allan Campbell, Richard Logan, Martha Yunker, John Bordwell, Jennifer Davie
Absent: Jeff Idlekope, Tim Musson, Annie Zager, , Lynette Davis, Michael Sander, Dan Colvin
President’s Report: 2017 Annual Report was not approved. No quorum
Secretary’s Report: February minutes were not approved. No quorum
Treasurer’s Report: Bookkeeper Update – Rachel into Quickbooks. Nikki got updated amendment from the city today, and the 2018 CPP budget will go up to about $100,000 (currently ~$81,000). We owe the city a $7,000 advance. Waiting on contract for the Greenspace so we can be reimbursed. Same with utility boxes.
- Safety Resolution with CIDNA – CIDNA unlikely to pass a resolution similar to ours. Board should vote to amend “Joint” Safety Resolution to take out “Joint” and parenthetical about CIDNA funding some changes. No quorum, so will do an e-vote.
- Traffic Meeting Recap with City, County, and Park Board – Going to look at Dean/Lake intersection and likely move pedestrian crossing on the west side of the street (add Do Not Cross sign). Will look at traffic/pedestrian/bike organization at that corner. Consider adding right turn arrows. Consider signs facing eastbound on Lake to give warning for lanes to choose for upcoming streets (overhanging or on poles). Considering alerts for pedestrian and bike crossing, but worry they won’t have much effect. Follow up walk through of the Calhoun Commons/Market Plaza area, with attention to sidewalks. Request a buffer white line on Excelsior. Want to move Nice Ride station, but they have not been responsive to the idea. How could we use our safety money? Traffic calming on Excelsior. But, if the hotel moves forward, they might do those improvements or contribute to them. Holding on this idea. Brick sidewalk crossing treatments? County is not sure about this. Red fades. Considering zebra stripes for these crossings in the future. Can we add an electronic speed monitor going each way? Tried it, but did not notice a slowdown.
Communications, Outreach, Events:
- Neighborhood Happy Hour
- February HH not well attended
- Next one: May (after Annual Meeting)- consider Urban Eatery? Nikki will talk to them
- April Newsletter Topics
- Earth Day, Movie- Frozen 8/11, May Annual Meeting
- Can we get info on our meetings/events into apartment newsletters (e.g., Be, Greenway, Cal Towers…)?
- Create a Facebook Event, could also “promote” it
- Take an evening at each major apartment complex to have a table at the lobby to sign up for emails/facebook and get a snack or raffle entry or something?
- Recent meeting updates
- Late March/Early April – hosting public information session regarding the Calhoun Towers project (details to come)
- Letter to Bader – Martha will take over from Annie
- Stenciling on Earth Day
- Midtown Greenway Coalition
- GLOW event in the summer – art fair, bike ride, gets people on the Greenway.
- Opposing last phase of Calhoun Towers, as it will shade the Greenway. Want a shading study.
- Want a low impact streetcar rather than a Light-rail. Want more signs and benches. Want to expand to St Paul.
- Sponsorship Workshop
- Approval of Workshop class ($125, shared with ANA) – Approved
- Workshop learnings – Build relationships! Vision Zero – City Public Works: integrating groups to affect pedestrian/cyclist safety.