West Calhoun Neighborhood Council
Monthly Board Meeting, 6 PM, November 13 2018
Attendees: Allan Campbell (chair), Lynette Davis (vice chair), Tim Musson (treasurer), John Bordwell, Victoria Hoshal, Jeff Idelkope, Richard Logan, Michael Sanders, Martha Yunker.
Excused: Annie Zager
6:00 – Welcome by Chair
Approval of October Minutes
- Approved unanimously
- Board Member: Paul Legler, former lawyer and federal Health & Human Services Dept appointee, recently moved to Minneapolis with wife, interested in green space in neighborhood.
- Motion to bring Paul onto Board approved unanimously
- Coordinator: Anna Schmitz, former coordinator at Saint Anthony East, currently also employed doing data science.
- Motion to hire Anna as Coordinator approved unanimously
- Secretary Anna to act as de facto secretary, Victoria to further consider secretary role
Planning for retreat
- Retreat will be focused on setting priorities for 2019, work/future of neighborhood boards
- Generally lasts ~2 hrs, was held last year in Bakken Great Hall with catering
- Potential guests: Jack Whitehurst from Neighborhood and Community Relations Dept. Linea Palmisano, traffic/safety planning staff. Limit to 2 presenters.
- Potential dates: November 26, 27. Will be decided via email follow-up.
Greenspace: Discussion of committee recommendation on Greenspace proposalGreenspace Committee recommended rejection of proposal from Elan.
Alternative plan for south end of Greenspace, under one acre seems best for smaller budget/fewer requirements
- Skate park may or may not happen. It is a priority for some Parks Board commissioners, but is dependent on funding.
- Alternative plan potentially would just need a landscape architect and environmental consultant
- Potential for sponsorship money for a stage?
- Preference to keep area green rather than more cement, more focus on limiting traffic
- Money needs to be contracted by end of 2019
- Motion for Elan proposal to be rejected approved unanimously
- Motion to bounce back to Greenspace Committee for new proposal approved unanimously
- Communications, Outreach, Events: Needs leader
- Victoria and Annie interested, Victoria to coordinate future meeting time
- Safety: Banners
- Spring and winter themes, minimal writing (westcalhoun.org possibly)
- Phase 1 location Excelsior commercial area, Phase 2 along Lake Street with coordination with CIDNA, W Calhoun Pkwy likely not possible
- May need new logo/design for banners, Victoria to communicate designer options with Annie
- Total approved banner budget is $10k
- Environment: Greenway Adoption
- To send letter asking if lighting could be improved in addition to trash collection
- $300 can be paid for from Community Participation Fund. No action taken,
- Land Use
- Public Hearing tomorrow at 4:30pm at City Hall on 2040 Plan
- Injunction currently has $21k of $35k needed for lawsuit to pause 2040 plan for environmental assessment
- Rogers Adams of CIDNA suggested that Earl Bakken be honored following his recent death. It was agreed that he would be a fitting subject for a Calhoun (or Maka Ska)Treasures award in 2019.
7:30 – Adjourn